GREATER MANCHESTER POLICE have extended Mason Greenwood’s bail after a court hearing earlier this week.
The 20-year-old forward was arrested after images and videos were posted online and was also questioned on suspicion of making threats to kill.
His bail was due to expire in April but was extended after Greater Manchester Police (GMP) applied to the courts.
It was further extended after a hearing on Thursday.
Confirming the bail extension, a GMP spokesman said no further updates would be issued until charges were brought or the player was released facing no further action.
“Following a hearing yesterday (Thursday 23 June 2022), a 20-year-old man arrested on suspicion of rape, assault and making threats to kill on Sunday 30 January 2022 remains on bail,” read the statement.
Greenwood was arrested shortly after pictures and videos were posted online by his alleged victim back in January, with United having already confirmed that he will not be available for selection or allowed to take part in training with his team-mates until further notice.
“We are aware of images and allegations circulating on social media,” said United in a statement at the time. “We will not make any further comment until the facts have been established.”
American sportswear giant Nike also suspended its relationship with Greenwood in light of his arrest, saying: “We are deeply concerned by the disturbing allegations and will continue to closely monitor the situation.”
Nike confirmed in February that Greenwood’s sponsorship had been cancelled with a final statement, which read: “Mason Greenwood is no longer a Nike athlete.”
Greenwood, who was also removed from the FIFA and eFootball video games after his arrest, joined United at the age of six and has registered 129 senior appearances for the club since making his professional debut in 2019.