Former Manchester United interim manager Ralf Rangnick reportedly advised Thomas Tuchel to not sign Cristiano Ronaldo this summer.
The 37-year-old told Manchester United he wants to leave earlier this summer in search of Champions League football.
Chelsea were one of the clubs in for Ronaldo but they eventually decided not to sign him following talks between Tuchel and club co-owner Todd Boehly.
According to the Times, Boehly pushed for the signing of the Portuguese star as he liked the idea of building the attack around him.
But Tuchel opposed the transfer on the advice of close friend and former United boss Rangnick, who managed Ronaldo last term.
Rangnick’s advice comes as no surprise after he criticised Ronaldo’s pressing capabilities at the end of last season.
Speaking in May, the 64-year-old said: ‘Cristiano Ronaldo, and I’m not blaming him at all, he did great in those games.
‘But he’s not a pressing monster. He’s not a player, even when he was a young player, who was crying, shouting “hooray, the other team has got the ball, where can we win balls?”
‘The same with quite a few other players so we had to make some compromises at one stage, maybe we made a few too many – that’s also possible.’
Ronaldo missed most of pre-season, eager to exit Old Trafford for a team in Europe’s elite competition.
The likes of Bayern Munich and Atletico Madrid have also turned down the chance to sign him and boyhood club Sporting Lisbon are the latest club linked with him.
Erik ten Hag has insisted Ronaldo remains in his plans and United continue to stress he is not for sale. But their resolve could be tested ahead of Thursday’s transfer deadline.
Ronaldo has started just one league game so far this season and he came off the bench to replace Jadon Sancho in Saturday’s 1-0 win over Southampton.