The 2023 Ballon d’Or shortlist was revealed, featuring several notable players, but there were some surprising omissions. Let’s take a look at the six players who missed out:
1. Marcus Rashford (Manchester United):
– Despite a resurgence under Erik ten Hag and improved fitness, Rashford missed the cut.
– In the 2022/23 season, he scored an impressive 30 goals, but he only won the League Cup.
2. Cristiano Ronaldo (Al Nassr):
– Ronaldo, now playing for Al Nassr, missed out on the shortlist, although he’s doing well at his new club.
– His performance at Manchester United saw a decline in effectiveness, with only three goals in 16 appearances last season.
3. Alisson (Liverpool):
– In a tough season for Liverpool, Alisson maintained his consistency and kept 14 clean sheets in the Premier League.
– However, Liverpool’s defensive issues likely contributed to his absence from the shortlist.
4. Ederson (Manchester City):
– Ederson played a crucial role in Manchester City’s historic Treble.
– It’s surprising that he was not nominated, especially when considering his Champions League performances.
5. Keira Walsh (Barcelona):
– Walsh played a pivotal role in Barcelona’s successful 2022/23 season, winning La Liga, Supercopa de Espana, and the Champions League.
– Her contributions were significant, but she didn’t make the shortlist.
6. Declan Rice (Arsenal):
– Despite leading West Ham out of a relegation battle and helping them reach the Europa Conference League final, Rice missed out.
– Offers from Manchester City and Arsenal showed his value, but he still didn’t make the cut.
These omissions left fans and pundits questioning the selection process for the 2023 Ballon d’Or.”